International House Sitting
A great way for free accommodation around the world
International house sitting is a fabulous way to have a holiday for free and makes for a great budget holiday.
Benefits of international house sittingFor the sitter
- You can enjoy amazing holidays around the world and not pay any accommodation costs
- You live and shop with the locals and become part of the community
- You get to enjoy the animals you are looking after
- If you are reliable and enthusiastic and people trust you, you maybe be asked again to house sit and you could be recommended to others
For the people going away
- Peace of mind to know your animals and house are being looked after
- Save money on kennel costs
- Your house will be safer because it's occupied
- redirecting mail
- Garden maintained
- You could have a regular sitter to look after your house
There are many organizations around the world for online data bases. If you require a house sitter, make sure you check their identification and references from other people and previous house owners.
If you are house sitting make an effort to show the owners that you are a responsible house sitter and give them references.
This site will give you lots of information regarding House Sitting - click here
A lady in Tuscany asked us to look after her house while she was away and we immediately accepted. We met through a house exchange website.
It was a beautiful old house, over 500 years old located just outside Siena in Italy. We had to feed her cat and water the large rambling vegetable garden which full of edible delights.
So whilst having a fabulous holiday in Italy, we kept our part of the deal and fed the cat and watered the garden. A very pleasant stay it was too.
We house sat in the south of Spain and look after a few dogs and a few other pets. The home is located on the slopes of the Andalusian Mountains with a magnificent view and a beautiful pool. The dogs are all delightful and we love dogs, so it’s hardly tough work. What an opportunity!
There were many responsibilities that we had; looking after two dogs, two cats, many goldfish and a canary.
Always be clear of your responsibilities. Here is an example of a House Sitting Job Description.
So list yourself on some these databases and enjoy the experience.
We wrote about our experience in Spain so have a look at what we got up to. We know of a couple who have been traveling whilst house sitting in several countries for six months. How's that for a cheap holiday!!!
Types of people who like to House sit can vary and have different reasons for doing so.
- enjoy the experience living in different parts of the country or the world
- be in between buying a new home and moving in.
- want to get to know an area before they buy a house
- need to save money on a holiday
- be travelling in a motor-home or campervan and want to stay put for a while
- enjoy pets and don’t have any of their own
- be a long distance truck driver wanting to save money
- be pleased to be able to help someone else have a holiday
can be for a couple of weeks or anything up to twelve months. We have had two lots of house sitters; one for six months and the other for eighteen months.
One young lady was studying and could not afford to pay rent, so this enabled her to gain her teaching certificate while she also took care of our house and our little dog. Another lady was looking at buying a house but had not found the property she wanted so she lived in our house while we were away and continued to search for a property.
Either way, it is a win-win situation for both parties.
There are precautions to take when you have a house sitter.
If you use a registered database it will give you tips about the precautions you need to take as a house owner and as a house sitter. They usually provide a contract guide for parties to discuss beforehand and also prompts you to think about things you need to be aware of.
Always list on paper the rules of the agreement. If there are things that you don’t want to be used,
put them away or say so. Make specific requests clear. One lady that we house sat for did not want us to use chemical cleaners and she stated this in the contract.
Have you had an interesting house sit experience ?
Maybe you looked after some unusual pets or the pets did something unexpected, maybe the house was haunted or you fell in love with the pets and wanted to take them home. Or maybe you had house sitters while you went away. Share it with us and include some pictures of the pets too.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Back to Accommodation Type
Leave International House Sitting and go back to Free Accommodation For World Travel home page